How to Burp a Baby that is Hard to Burp
One of the necessary but somewhat frustrating things that new parents talk about is burping their baby it raises all sorts of questions including how to when to what if there’s no burp how hard do you pat and so forth that’s why we made this article series to help with at home newborn care this article will cover burping techniques my name is Gladys and I am a maternity nurse specialist for parent education at NYU Langone Medical Center burping your baby isn’t always easy actually many new parents consider it a challenge we’re going to demonstrate two burping techniques over the shoulder and on the lap will answer some frequently asked questions remember that the reason you burp your baby is to release gas this is the air that the baby may have taken in during a feeding babies feel better after burping and the activity helps stimulate the baby to four the over-the-shoulder technique you can either do this sitting or standing try them both out and see which works best for you and your baby or you can alternate sitting and standing to start hold the baby up on your chest so the baby is facing toward you with your arm tucked under the baby’s bottom for support you’ll want to put a burping cloth over your shoulder in case the baby spits up use your dominant hand to gently but firmly pat your baby’s back between the shoulders working your way up and down you can also rub the baby’s back after several paths after a while you’ll get to know your baby you’ll learn what seems to work best keep in mind that breastfed babies tend to burp less because they take in less air and bottle fed babies and sometimes babies don’t burp at all which is perfectly normal burp your baby for about a minute and then continue feeding if your baby seems upset and is crying try standing or rocking your maybe or talking to your baby the second technique is where your baby is sitting on your lap placing a burp cloth on your leg the position looks like this you can use either leg with a baby facing either way notice that one open hand is holding the baby’s jaw the forefinger and thumb are used as a sort of wedge with the palm supporting the chest using firm but gentle pressure tilt and support the baby’s head up a little at first it may seem a little awkward but after some practice it will be second nature remember that there is nothing wrong if the baby does not burp every time and if the baby spits up just wipe and continue again use your dominant hand to gently but firmly pat your baby’s back between the shoulders working your way up and down as we mentioned you can also rub the baby’s back after several paths one common question parents ask is how often to burp their baby during a feeding we recommend burping your baby after the baby feeds with each breast but if you have expressed your breast milk and someone else is feeding the baby try half way through and again after the feeding you may notice that if your baby starts to fuss while feeding this may indicate the need to burp be patient as you learn what your baby needs and likes burping your baby is another activity that gives you hands-on contact as you touch hold and talk with your baby all of this adds to the bonding experience as you gain experience burping your baby will also be a confidence booster for you after all there’s nothing like experience and we hope this at home newborn care article has helped you
KiddyStar 5-Pack Baby Burp Cloths, Organic Cotton, Large 21"x10", Triple Layer, Thick, Soft and Absorbent Towels, Burping Rags for Newborns, Baby Shower Gift for Boys and Girls
- BURPING LIKE A PRO - Your baby's burps are cute but messy & can soil yours as well as your baby's clothes - use our super absorbent burp towel to keep yourself clean after messy mealtimes & also to keep the shine on your stardust - our cute grey prints are equally suitable for your little prince or princess & looks good on both moms & dads!
- BABY-SAFE BURP CLOTH - Made from hypoallergenic outer cotton layers & fleece in between, our burp cloths are safe for your baby's sensitive skin, highly breathable, extremely soft & comfortable, and highly absorbent to protect you & your baby from spit ups & food refluxes - make your baby comfortable by burping her with our cute burp rags!
- BEST BURP CLOTH SET - High quality stitching at the edges prevents any fraying or easy wear/tear, while eco-friendly prints don't fade for years. Our burp pads can be machine washed & become softer after every wash without shrinking - PACK OF 5 organic burp cloths with all unique prints for your hip baby!
- VERSATILE USES - Our cotton burp cloth can be used as baby towels to wipe after a messy lunch, cloth bib to catch falling food while feeding, as reusable cloth wipes for babies with sensitive skin, a quick changing pad while on the go, and even as a place mat for messy toddlers - multiple uses of one burp bib make it a Swiss knife for baby care!
- PROMISE OF QUALITY - We offer you a 100% quality promise as our diaper burp cloths are made with the finest quality materials. However, if you are dissatisfied with our product, we will either replace the product or return your money without any questions! Order with confidence!